November 4: Back in La Republica

I decided to return to DR for the Halloween weekend and I had three reasons why. Reason #1, I wanted to see Jasmin. She is the one woman in DR I can actually take seriously, so I came down to spend time with her. And we've been together for most of this trip. Reason #2, being here means I can get additional footage and content for my YouTube channel. I truly (and clearly) enjoy documenting my travels. The influx of black American travelers to DR during the Halloween weekend means an opportunity to get some interesting moments on camera. Reason #3, I need a break from the US. Sure, I could have stomached another month or two without leaving Florida but hey, why not come down if I have the time and money? It isn't killing me to get here and enjoy some time in paradise so I just pulled the trigger.

On this ten day trip, I am spending most of my time in Sosua, but I am also traveling to Las Terrenas. I wanted to venture there on my last visit but at some point the curfew became much too stressful to deal with. I am able to go this time. I wanted to take the bus but there are no large bus companies that have a route from Puerto Plata to Samana, and although there are some smaller companies with routes, I opted to rent a car and drive.

At the moment, Jasmin and I are sitting in a restaurant in the small town of Gaspar Hernandez. This break gives me an opportunity to write about my last few days in DR.

The curfew is two hours longer, which makes a huge difference. I for one have experienced significant happiness being able to see the sun set over the Caribbean for the first time in a year. The first couple of days back were really a vibe. Now, I did get caught out last night by the national police. I was about a block or two from my hotel and had to pay a bride to avoid bigger problems. Jasmin wasn't happy with how much I paid them but I really didn't care to negotiate, I just wanted out the mouse trap. So anyway, the corrupt curfew related nonsense is still an inconvenience for tourists. But it is still manageable.

Other than that, it has been a very different kind of trip for me. No whore chasing whatsoever, just hanging out with my new novia. And being with a real Dominican woman is a genuine relief because I am not a big fan of handing over my hard earned money to putas night after night. That kind of taxation gets old fast.

I have been thinking about investing in a rental cqr business here catering to brothas like myself. The rental game is a huge scam here and I think there's a lane for a legitimate operation. Question is will brothas support the business? Among expats, there is an openly discussed and much debated question as to if the slave mentality is ever really broken, even when black Americans travel overseas. Generally the older black men see a glass half wmpty and us younger men believe unity is achievable. I personally support black businesses whenever reasonably possible but some members of the African diaspora have deep seeded hate for others of the same tribe succeeding. Anyway, a small rental business seems doable, but I need to run the numbers.

Anyway, we are going to get back on the road to Las Terrenas in a moment here.

Life. Health. Liberty. Wisdom. Love. Prosperity. Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts