So Long, Sosua

On Sunday my buddy convinces me (yet again... I'm easily convinced) to hang out with these sisters we'd already spent time with. He wanted to swap sisters. So I got the younger, thicker one. At first she didn't like me much because I was in a bitter mood and had been for a while. But back at my place we were in the pool talking and my drunken Spanish was good and she and I started seeing eye to eye on some things. We ended up having a nice time together, despite all the ranting and raving I did in the last blog post.

The next morning, Monday, I took the SUV to Puerto Plata to have the paint looked at. Dude charged me $200 USD to repaint some panels and get those deep scratches out of it. Meanwhile, the car's owner was bugging me to return it a day early... I tuned all that nonsense out. My other buddy agreed to handle the actual return of the car after it gets fixed, which presumably happened today, because I needed to already be in Santiago.

Anyway, I rushed backed to Sosua because at 1 PM there was a boat party. When I tell you I had no energy, I really mean I had no energy whatsoever. My battery was drained at 11:30 AM. I rested my eyes briefly, then sat by the beach with my other friend waiting to get on the boat. I almost didn't do it. I was exhausted. But I did. And I'm glad I did.

The boat party was fun in that quirky Dominican kind of way. The locals managing the boat party, they're so used to seeing Americans kicking it, they just kind of coexisted passively, looking bored to be there. I observed this for the umpteenth time (just like they have observed some version of me over and over again) and the light switch came on in my head. I realize now that the average Dominican's demeanor just makes me uneasy and there's nothing I can do about it. By the looks on their faces, I'm convinced that one day they're going to take a machete to every foreigner on their island. But the drunken chicas onboard, well, they were young and dumb and full of rum, actual participants in the festivities. In fact, without the chicas it's a fishing trip with no poles. Or too many, haha. Drinks in hand, these lovely ladies of thw night twerked to the same six or seven popular songs over and over again for three hours. It was freaking awesome.


As we're getting off the boat, this Canadian Haitian guy invites me to the condos owned by another guy. The girls were going to be there. So I went home to pack real quick and got my ass back to the condo. I'll leave out all the boring parts and fast forward to Jasmin.

Jasmin is 24, petite with dark skin, natural everything, no tats, no children. Once she and I were alone and started talking, I discovered that I was finally, FINALLY talking to the woman I'd been looking for in DR. We just understood each other and had immediate attraction plus chemistry. Sure, she's out here doing what she has to do, but I got the sense she wanted more in life than fake nails and hair weaves.

Meeting a young woman like her happened at the end of my trip but at least it happened. She gives me at least some reason to come back to DR.

Tuesday was all about getting to Santiago. I dropped the car off with my friend whose handling all that for me then got a ride from another friend who lives here. I was supposed to meet with the nurse but she had to work so I called up the goddess. As always, she delivered.

And so I am here at 1 AM documenting this second from the last day of my trip from a hotel room in Santiago, eyes bloodshot from lack of sleep. I have those same mixed feelings about returning to the US, only amplified by conflicting thoughts and feelings: exhaustion, bank statements, naked twenty somethings, bad wifi, cold showers, too much alcohol.

I'm going to bed.

Comments

Popular Posts