Sosua, the real Sin City

There's no way I can chronicle every detail of my daily adventures, at least not in a brief way, and you probably don't want to know about everything anyway. But man oh man, yesterday was like two days packed into one.

I met my lawyer friend. She was as advertised. I think we will meet again. The city where she lives though, La Vega, is a bland and uninspiring place. The people are quite off-putting (a mean little fat lady even cut me in line at the store and told me to fuck off in English). But I would give it a second chance. Things are weird everywhere right now and people are stressed out.

I left La Vega in the early afternoon and drove to Sosua on the scenic route, a highway that goes up the mountain in a series of switchbacks. What my GPS didn't tell me was that for about 8 miles of that route, the roads were completely unpaved. Supposedly there's construction but I think the government put a pause on repaving because there's no sign of progress being made on those wretched roads. I'm so glad I was in a Ford Explorer and not a small car. But even in the SUV, it was rough going on all that packed dirt and heavy gravel.

I arrived in Sosua around 4 PM. For those of you who have never experienced Sosua, here's the first and main thing you should know: it's a red light district. Yes, there is legitimate tourism in the form of beige sand and salt water, but what really drives this city is sex. So if you bring your kids and in-laws, that's fine, but just go straight to the beach and steer clear of the main strip. The only thing on the strip are foreigners, motoconcho drivers, hustlers, and whores.

Last night was my third time here and it is greatly diminished. After about 7 PM there was nothing going on outside. The streets were dark and populated mostly by motoconcho drivers. There were a few prostitutes out still but most were already chasing appointments, I imagine.

Today I hope I get a chance to take a look at a couple apartments. My buddy says they're only around $280 a month. Wow! And I seriously need to get a phone card because Verizon is making a fortune off of me this week. I have been trying to get one but everytime I go there's an issue. So those are my chores for the day, in reverse order.

Aside from that I have another night at this cool adult themed hotel. I'll tell you what, this is the place to be! It looks brand new. There is parking and it is secure. The bed is big and comfy, the shower is a massive walk in, the AC blows cold, the balcony is fun to hang out on, the pool is inviting, it has a wall safe, there's cable for the tv watchers... I would not mind staying here again in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts